Monday, December 7, 2009

Dirty Dishes

I/we have a bad habit of not doing dishes straightaway, it'll often be the next morning before we 'get' to them. I will invariably find that food that was left on the plate the night before, now has the consistency of super glue, and that I have to soak and then scrub them before the dishwasher takes a turn at them. It makes my kitchen look messy, and provides extra jobs that could've been avoided if I had just spent the 10 seconds to rinse off the plate straightaway.

This reminded me of sin (naturally:). There have been times in my life when I know I have done something wrong and I repent and change straightaway. Other times I am too spiritually lazy to do so, knowing that it's going to take some effort on my part. When I have left things which shouldn't have been left, and when I do wake up and want to change, I find I now have more damage to repair and more spiritual dirt to deal with.

Sister Beck says: "Sometimes people get casual about repenting. I have heard some people say that repenting is too hard. Others say they are tired of feeling guilty or have been offended by a leader who was helping them repent. Sometimes people give up when they have made mistakes and come to believe that there is no hope for them. Some people imagine that they will feel better about themselves if they just leave the restored gospel and go away". (Julie B. Beck, “Remembering, Repenting, and Changing,” Ensign, May 2007, 109–12)

The Lord says: “If men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.” (Ether 12:27)

I am grateful that the Lord teaches us little lessons that we need, even in the oddest of places. I need reminders, and His reminders show He cares.

1 comment:

  1. I never thought of dishes that way before, thanks for the reminder
    http://www.wheelsonthebusgoroundandround.com

    ReplyDelete

Hope you have a brilliant day!!

Welcome! Feel free to share anything on here, but if sharing please link back to the blog post & 'Spiritually Speaking Printable' images are free for personal use, with no commercial purposes, as they are COPYRIGHTED and may NOT be altered without my written permission. xx